Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Re-Post From Filipina Mom In Denmark

Apr22009

World Autism Awareness Day

logo_waadToday is the World Autism Awareness Day and I have to post about it. But what is really is autism? Here are some myths and facts that I found in the www.austisme.dk non danish can use google translate I think it very informative

Myth - Autism is a sickness

Autism is not a disease but a development disorder. It is a complicated condition that can be caused by different development of the brain or other biological factors.

Myth-Autism is cause by parental rejection and bad parenting.

Autism has nothing to do with upbringing or how parents treat their children.

Myth - People with autism have no feelings.

People with autism have feelings, but find it hard to express because of their condition.

Myth - People with autism have no imagination.

People with autism can easily create fantasy but it hard for them to imagine things they haven’t tried before.

One of my friend has a child who is autistic and my brother’s nephew has ADHD which is short for the Attentive Deficiency Hyperactivity Disorder which is a different diagnosis form autism although they have similarities. So I know the hardships they went through. But fortunately in Denmark there schools for special children because they can not learn from a regular environment they cannot concentrate and they need teachers with special education to teach children with learning disabilities. Early diagnosis is a good way to help children so they can be help or they are talking about that the state is spending a lot of money in special tutor to students who might be autistic or ADHD because you can see physically if they are autistic or not if you are not aware what is autistic behavior are. Read more aboutautism and ADHD inthi svery informative site http://www.retrainthebrain.com/autism.html

When I learned that I am pregnant I became conscious of everything I eat and put on my body fearing that I will harm my child. I still have the fears since when at 8 moths he was screened or undergone test by a special child care nurse if he has some early signs of autism of any disabilities. That test to check if a child can concentrate by showing if I can remember it right 2 ball and just move it if the child will eventually grab it and it took my son a little while. Later on the nurse said she was afraid that he will not grab it. But that doesn’t end he also went with some difficulty with biting, hitting and only do parallel play meaning he do what others are doing but don’t want to join them. But this time I’m so happy that he is on the right track in his social skills. He is actually advanced child which explains that he should always needs challenges he can actually rad the alphabet and nos. 1-50 at the age of 2.5.

People should be aware that children or people with autism are also human they have feelings and not totally handicapped but they should be understand and not be outcast. Stop looking blaming the parents or the mother that they did something wrong but who knows how the brain works. I was once hurt when I heard people which some of them are close friends of mine commenting about my son that he is different that he is so aggressive that he should be in a special school which means for autistic or gifted children. I appreciate their cincern but they should not outcast my son because of one incident. I can not just imagine how the parents of autistic children experience.

Let us join the autism awareness day and it should not be today and everyday we should support parents and treat people with autism with respect and understanding.

This is dedicated to Earth

Share with SociBook.com

Posted by: A Filipino Mom In Denmark
Re-posted by: Mel Alarilla
Philippines
Re-post/Social Awareness

2 comments:

Ana said...

Thanks for reposting this article. It will help spread the word.

Mel Alarilla said...

Hi Ana,
The gratitude is mine. We both share our concern for our fellowmen. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you always.


Our Guardian Angel Ministers To Our Needs

God's Divine Providence

Followers